About seven years ago, I made my first Broadway trip. Unfortunately, I ended up having foot surgery right before the trip so I couldn't spend any time sightseeing or doing anything but dragging myself to the shows and back at night (this is where I learned that the theatre's have secret handicap restrooms). Anyway, every since then, I have been saying that someday I would go back and do it right and I finally got the chance to do that.
My friend and former roommate Kristi and I headed out to New York for 5 days of slightly chilly fun. Climb to top of pedestal at the Statue of Liberty - check. Visit Ellis Island - check. Go to observation deck of the Empire State Building - check. Visit the Met - check. Shop at Century 21 - check. Ride the subway - check. It was great to be a tourist!
One of the best things was our hotel location. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square which was so great as it was within easy access to all five of the theatres we went to. I highly recommend that if you are headed for a Broadway week, if you can swing it, to spend the extra money to be so conveniently located. As everyone was clamoring for taxi's and such after the shows, we had an easy walk home. So much better than last time when in my pain induced state, we paid a limo about $70 to take us the half mile to the hotel we were in cause I just couldn't walk it and we couldn't get a cab.
So, for any of you headed out that way soon, here are my reviews of the five Broadway shows we saw:
- Fela! - The music was interesting but the plot line was disjointed, confusing, and sad. Not my favorite. There was a scene in the second act where I just thought did I fall asleep - is this the same play?
- A Little Night Musical - This one was my favorite but mostly because it starred Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Landsbury. It was a fun farce and we learned that this is the play that "Send in the Clowns" comes from.
- Memphis: A New Musical - This was Kristi's favorite. Great music, the actors did a great job, very entertaining.
- Hair - This was a fun one but I would have liked it more if there wasn't a point where a cast member was playing with my hair. I really hate interactive theatre!!! I didn't think anything would beat the last trip when we were on the front row of Chicago and one of the dancers used me as his focal point but this topped it. Please note that I was in the middle row of the Mezzanine - it took some effort for this cast member to reach me! I blame Kristi who waved at them backstage before the play started ...and the loud, drunk crazy lady in front of us. Also, could have used a heads up on the whole cast stripping at the end of the first act. Oh, funny note for my LDS friends - I kept thinking that the lead guy in the play looked really familiar so afterwards I googled him and learned that he has been big in "Mormon movies" including the lead guy in Singles Ward. I have now seen more of him than I ever wanted to.
- Present Laughter - This was my second favorite. This is a play written by Noel Coward and I thought it was hilarious. It starred Victor Garber (Alias, First Wives Club) who did an excellent job. I think his run ends next week so if you want to see him go now! I should also mention that the American Airlines Theatre where is showed was by far the most comfortable theatre and seats we had.


2 comments:
So fun!!! And great reviews of the shows. Can't wait to see you in May.
I am so glad to hear you had a great visit. It brings back great memories, not only of our visit there when you were crutch ladden, but also when we took the kids to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Although they remember more our stumbling across a White Castle for dinner!
Post a Comment