Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Walk through Brighouse


After a lovely week at home, I headed once again across the Atlantic. My destination this time was our office in Elland, England. I have two new hires out of this office that were attending training this week so I sat through it with them...at least now I have a better idea of what they will be doing! My flight home is tomorrow (Sunday) so today I found myself with time on my hands. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse. Turns out, not so much to do here in Brighouse so I just set off on a long walk to see what I could see. I went shopping in a grocery store just because I love to see how people shop in other countries and what they buy. My favorite is the potato chip aisle (or crisps as they call them here). The flavors I found today: Roast Beef and Mustard, Prawn Cocktail, Argentinian Flame Grilled Steak, American Cheeseburger, Brazilian Salsa, and English Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding.  Definitely the most unusual flavors I have come across lately. 

After that I just wandered.  I found a delightful path along a canal that runs through the little town.  The spring flowers were all in bloom and it was absolutely beautiful.  I am in Northern England which I was told was known for its rolling green hills and sheep.  I definitely saw those which made me think of my mom (happy Mothers Day!) as that was one of her favorite parts of our trip to England 9 years ago.  I finally dragged myself back to the hotel...and into the midst of a wedding.  Apparently the hotel has been taken over by the happy couple and their friends and family and the alcohol was flowing freely.  All the men were in tuxedos and the women were in formal gowns with gloves and hats.  I was in my jeans and a t-shirt.  Someone was singing "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong", fortunately that just turned out to be the voices in my head.  So what to do when the hotel is just one big party?  That's right.  I took a nap.  I feel so refreshed.

It is now time to pack for my journey home tomorrow...working under the assumption that my flight will not be cancelled.  The volcanic pain in the ash in Iceland has been spewing all week affecting the airspace here.  Today airports in Ireland, Scotland, the UK, Portugal, and Spain were impacted.  Right now there is another cloud over the Atlantic but the winds are blowing in a "northerly pattern" so it should miss the UK and right now they are predicting no airport delays tomorrow because of it.  I will keep you posted and let you know if this becomes "Into the Ash Part 3".

1 comment:

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

Referencing the potato chip aisle.
My eyes read that you ATE all those flavors of chips. I thought "did she just sit down in the aisle and eat"? Apparently not.