A friend of mine has starting doing a Friday Flashback posting. I decided to copy her (at least this week) but since it is Monday, I will just call mine a Monday Memory. Today's memory - learning to water ski.Apparently somewhere in life I decided to leave some firsts for adulthood - like water skiing, snow skiing, camping, kayaking...hmm, there seems to be a theme here. Anyway, 10 years ago, my friends Arnold and Tyson offered to teach Nancy, Amy and I how to water ski without anyone else around. Apparently we had refused one too many invites.
So one summer day we piled into vehicles and made our way to a lake somewhere in the bay area. I have no idea where but it took a couple hours to get there. Or maybe it just felt like a couple of hours. Either way, we eventually got there. It was a beautiful day on the lake. The sun was shining, the water was warm. I was enjoying the cruise on the lake (go Dramamine!) and I was about to learn something new.
Now, I fully confess to never quite understanding the thrill of putting your feet on two sticks and being dragged behind a boat. Nor, for that matter, do I get strapping your feet to two sticks and throwing yourself down a mountain. But, every now and then, it's time to break out of the old comfort zone so I was game. It took a couple of tries and the inhaling of a few gallons of water, before I finally got up. It was admittedly for no more than a nanosecond, but I was up and it counts. Celebrations all around.
It was August of 1999 when this trip happened. I remember this because I am wearing a brace in Matt and Shannon's wedding photos due to the torn tendon in my hand from being dragged behind a boat while strapped to two sticks. Thus proving that breaking out of your comfort zone is not without risks. Ah, good times.
5 comments:
Oh the joy of learning how to water skiing. I on the other hand do not have a sucess story to tell. Maybe someday, or not.
Side note: Matt and I were married in July of 99.
I will have to update the page in my scrapbook. Thanks!
You are so brave! I still have never waterskiied. I chalk it up to my fear of deep waters, really though, I just don't want to embarrass myself too bad.
And I totally knew you then...oh my goodness...only you...it could happen to only you. But aren't you glad you tried it?? Come on, you wouldn't have a Monday Memory lighting that corner of your mind, now would you??
Thanks for the chuckle!
I remember seeing you with the brace on your wrist. I started to tell you how you should have been holding the handle, then I realized that you weren't interested in that information. Oh well, I still revert to "solution mode" automatically. I guess I didn't learn my lesson.
Post a Comment