Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Flash Mobs - A Random Musing

I was watching Oprah Winfrey yesterday and they were talking about a "Flash Mob" event that she received as a gift. Apparently when you have everything, this is what people get you. I watched the video of that Flash Mob and several others which seemed mostly to be initiated in Sweden (I blame the long, cold winter nights). They all seemed to involve the masses dancing in sync. Anyway, as I watched this "new phenomena" something seemed really familiar to me. Out of curiosity, I hit Wikipedia for a definition which helpfully provided this "a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual action for a brief time, then quickly disperse." And then it hit me. When I was in college we had flash mobs. These aren't a new phenomena. The only difference is that back in my day...we called it line dancing.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Oh, Tracy, I died laughing!!! Yes, line dancing!!