Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When does the "New Job" stop being the "New Job"?

Two years ago I was in St. Paul, MN making it through my first day on the "new job".  I am guessing I need to stop referring to it as my "new job" now and just admit that it's my job - especially since I have now been here longer than I was at the last company (which shall remain nameless).  I have to say that as I reflect on the last two years, I have so much gratitude in my heart for the opportunities and blessings it has brought to my life.

I am really grateful for a job that kept me employed during the worst of the economic down turn (which is, I believe, the politically correct term these days for "the depression"). I am grateful for a job that allowed me to stay in Utah close to family and friends even though I don't get to see them nearly enough. I am grateful for the benefits it has provided me - from the health care I had access to and made great use of, to a generous vacation package, to the occasional bonus, to a retirement plan to help with the future, to the opportunity to interact with people all over the world on a daily basis.  I now have life long friends from California to Manila and many places in between as a result of this job.

And of course the traveler in me is grateful for the opportunity that I have had to see so much of the world in the last two years. I have been to Sweden, in particular Stockholm and Linkoping, so many times that I now no longer have any idea how many times I have been.  In addition to Sweden my job paved the way for me to go to Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Manchester, London, Paris, Prague, Amsterdam, Norway, Austria, and Germany...and of course, various US locations including Boston a few times a year which has the added bonus of letting me see family there.

Beyond work related trips, this job also allowed the time and means for me to head to my happy place in Australia a couple of times and to spend three fun-filled months at a beach house in Maine.  Being able to spend a month with my mom and two weeks with my dad was truly a priceless gift that I don't take for granted and for that opportunity alone I am grateful for this job.  Throw in the added bonus of being able to spend so much time being part of the New Hampshire Peterson family and there aren't words to adequately express what this last summer meant to me. 

So even though it has its pain points, I really am grateful for this job and for Lawson and my boss who decided to take a chance on me.  Now, on to year three.

2 comments:

Don said...

I am VERY happy for you. Your old team misses you.

Mike said...

We love your job since it means we get to see you so often! We wish you could join us for Thanksgiving, but we hope you have fun in...I forget where Laura said you'll be. But hopefully they have turkey there, or at least turkey-flavored something.