I took advantage of proximity while I was in the Netherlands to head to Belgium for the day. First up was a few hours in Antwerp. This was a great little city with interesting architecture, cobblestone streets, and a sense of history...and Chocolate. You really can't come to Belgium without a chocolate shop being the first destination and it certainly lived up to expectations!
Next up was Brussels. We drove around the city for a bit to see the sights before heading to the huge Christmas market that had overtaken the city. We of course had to stop to see the statue of the peeing boy which the city is apparently famous for. Ah the things one learns when on tour.
The Christmas Market was amazing. I didn't capture any great pictures that show the magnitude of the booths, people, and festivities. Street after street was consumed with booths containing food and wares for sale. This being Belgium, I of course had to indulge in Belgium Waffles and Belgium Fries...I had no idea that Belgium takes credit for the fry but they do so, if you find yourself here, do not under any circumstances order "French Fries". The food was yummy and I really could have spent the entire time grazing but there were sights to see and knickknacks to buy. One of my favorite sights at the markets was this old fashioned carousel that had hot air balloons, planes, and boats instead of traditional horses.
One day in Belgium was enough to get a taste of the country but certainly not long enough to explore everything I would like to have seen so I hope that life brings me this way again some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment