Sunday, November 8, 2009

17056 Steps and a Rainy Day in Sydney

I woke up this morning to an overcast day and nothing I needed to do and nothing in particular that I wanted to do, so I decided to let the day take me wherever it wanted to. After breakfast, I headed to Circular Quay. There were no ferries leaving soon, so I headed towards the Opera House and the Royal Botanical Gardens. I strolled through the gardens at the edge of the bay which reminded me of San Francisco and the way the fog rolls in. Today on my stroll, I found myself fascinated by the unique tree trunks and the many different birders. There were also some beautiful flowers blooming. I can’t wait to come back to the gardens on a bright sunshiny day. After the gardens, I hopped a ferry to Darling Harbour. I was part way to the shopping center when the skies opened up. I took refuge with a caramel hot chocolate from Starbuck’s and watched the people run for cover.After shopping I saw a crowd walking in the same direction together. Normally my hermit tendencies would cause me to head in the opposite direction but today I decided to follow the crowd and found myself at an Egyptian Festival of some sort. It was interesting to listen to some of the performers, watch the people taking their camel rides, and browse the booths. I was so close to Paddy’s Market at this point, and since I didn’t seem to be bothered by crowds at the moment, that I headed there next. Paddy’s Market is a huge flea market type venue where you can by all sorts of souvenirs, clothes, jewelry and other…junk. It was chaotic, noisy and a bit smelly.

Eventually, 17056 steps later, I called it a day and wandered back to the hotel stopping along the way to do a little grocery shopping so I would have something for dinner later on. It was great to spend a day without any type of plan or agenda. I highly recommend it!

No comments: