Sunday, November 15, 2009

Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef

Wow! There really aren't words to describe the incredible day I had today snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. I was a little uncertain of the how the day was going to go when the first thing I had to do was put on a lycra body suit. And really, once the thing was on there was nowhere for the day to go but up! Fortunately I joined a tour that has an underwater photographer on staff so we got some amazing pictures from today and here are just a few of them.

In addition to the amazing coral of all different types, kinds and colors, we swam with some amazing creatures. Wally and Sarah are two very big, very friendly fish. I was with four other snorkelers around a ring on a guided tour of the reef when Sarah decided to swim into the middle of our group and just hang there as if she just wanted to be part of the tour. Wally would swim up to people so they could give him a little rub. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen. I also found Nemo, saw a shark (from the safety of a submersible - I fortunately didn't notice the shark when it swam under us while we were snorkeling or I might have had a heart attack). It was truly an amazing day!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Laura said...

Gorgeous! I think I'm still too chicken to snorkeling, but I love the photos.

Sophie said...

Eeeeek. Shark. But oh how I love snorkeling! So cool, Tracy. Love the photos.