I spent the first two days here in Sydney doing my favorite things. When I got to the hotel they said it would be a few hours before my room was ready so I headed over to Pancakes on the Rocks, my favorite restaurant in the world, and had my favorite meal - the Bananarama (a lovely concoction of pancakes with ice cream and butterscotch with grilled bananas on the side - really so much better than the description). I then went to one of my favorite little shops to buy my annual calendar. The owner was working that day and after welcoming me back, called me a regular and gave me a little gift. Ah, it's so nice to be remembered!
From there I wandered down George Street to do a little window shopping where someone stopped me to ask me where I got my hair done. I have to assume, since I had been traveling for more than a day at this point, that asking me was a preventative measure to ensure they never ended up at my salon. After wandering aimlessly through Sydney, getting reacquainted with my favorite haunts, I was finally able to check in to my room which has a lovely view of the Opera House. I laid down for a nap at about 3:00 and woke up 9 hours later.
Day two I headed to Manly beach where I discovered it was the Manly Festival of Surfing. I found my spot on the beach and spent a few hours watching the surfing events. It was really entertaining to watch. The long distance paddle boarding contest looked absolutely exhausting and made me want a nap...and lunch.
On the ferry ride back from Manly there was a little boy, maybe a year old, that was completely enamored with me. He kept looking at me and smiling and then started jabbering away (I assume he was telling me his life story). His parents kept trying to distract him but he refused to turn his attention from me. It was hilarious - and disconcerting - that for the whole 30 minute journey it was all about me.
From there it was on to lunch followed by a guava ice cream cone and a little time sitting in my happy place admiring the view. I topped off the day with a visit to the Rocks Market - an open air market where artists show and sell their wares. It was a relaxing day that has left me glowing. OK, I admit the glowing part is due to a failure to reapply sunscreen. 

2 comments:
I think you have found your "nirvana". The place you were meant to be.
Enjoy!
Ahhh, I want to be there too. It looks gorgeous. Your so amazing, this is the vacation you deserve.
Post a Comment