Thursday, November 19, 2009

Daintree Rain Forest

If you are tired of hearing about my trip - you should probably stop reading now! I have returned to the land of free Internet and am playing catch up on my postings. Since I am using this as my journal/log for the year, prepare for many more entries on my adventures down under. To start, while in Cairns I took a bunch of day trips. One of them was titled 4WD tour to Cape Tribulation including the Bloomfield Track. We started out the day by taking the Daintree River Cruise. We were cruising along learning all about the local Flora and Fauna when all of sudden CROCODILE alert! Let me tell you, seeing one of these things in captivity is a whole lot different than seeing one in the wild. He was massive and quick and boy did our skipper and the skipper of the other boat nearby back us away from the crocodile as quickly as possible so we could watch him from a nice safe distance. I was at the back of the boat (the side closest to the croc) at the time thinking "if he decides he's hungry, I hope he chooses the Englishman sitting next to me". From there we went to Stingray Bay, Cape Tribulation, took some jaunts through the rain forest and had really great homemade tropical fruit ice cream at the Daintree Ice Cream Company. I have never been much of a gardener and have taken no particular interest in growing things, but it was fascinating nonetheless to learn about the plants and the adaptations they have made to survive in an often unfriendly climate. Verdict on the tour - two thumbs up.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: